As I’ve mentioned before, I was diagnosed with OCD. This means that certain objects make more sense to me than to other humans. For example, today’s the 35th day in Lent (counting Sundays).
As such, 35 is a multiple of 5, which makes it an acceptable number. Said the latter, my favorite sole numbers are
- 0 (zero) — null, logical base for counting; as well as leading zeros like
- 01 to 99
- 001 to 999,
- 0001 to 9999.
- 1 (one) — unit, individualism,
- 2 (two) — even,
- 3 (three) — no mayor reason,
- 5 (five) — half of ten (decimal system),
- 7 (seven) — not so much; representation of competition in the Bible
- 7 days of Creation (Genesis 2:2),
- 7 crowns & 7 heads on red dragon (Revelation 12:3).
My favorite combinations are
- multiples of 2 (two) — symmetry,
- multiples of 5 (five) — half of ten,
- multiples of 10 (ten) — decimal system
- 13 (thirteen) — day I was born; unlucky number, supercilious nonsense,
- 25 (twenty-five) — quarter of a century, perfect age before human breakdown and decay,
- 40 (forty) — representation of a long time in the Bible;
- 40 days of rain, the flood & Noah’s Ark (Genesis 7:12),
- 40 years wandering in the dessert, Moses (Exodus 16:35),
- 69 (sixty-nine) — obvious; ying & yang,
- 666 (six hundred and sixty-six) — the number of the Beast (Revelation 13:18), just for fuck’s sake.
My favorite constants are
- pi (3.14159265359),
- speed of light (299,792,458 m/s)
- and speed of sound (340.29 m/s at sea level).
Radical and imaginary numbers are also fairly cool as well as well as
- base 2 (binary, switches on or off)
- and base 16 (hexadecimal, latter two related to computers).
I guess that, after all the senseless information on numbers (how my brain works), today’s devotional might not fit the bill. In any case, here it is coming from Romans 10:1-13.
“1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. 6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) 7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) 8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:1-13 KJV)
At least, it was 13 verses.