Sunday series: 11/09/2008 (#8)
Where: Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church at 11:15am
“1 I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. 2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live. 3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow. 4 Then called I upon the name of the Lord; O Lord, I beseech thee, deliver my soul. 5 Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful. 6 The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me. 7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee. 8 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling. 9 I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living. 10 I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted: 11 I said in my haste, All men are liars. 12 What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me? 13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord. 14 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people. 15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. 16 O Lord, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds. 17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord. 18 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people, 19 In the courts of the Lord’s house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the Lord.” (Psalm 116 KJV)
- Pledge Sunday
- Bible used at FAPC
- “It’s always time to give to the Lord’s mission.”
— Elder Chad Stubbs, Announcement Campaign 2009 (pledge)
- My eyes are tearing up as the anthem [Glorious Everlasting by M. Thomas Cousins] was sung by the choir.
Very Omen–like, so much like a horror film.
- I feel some level of jealousy seeing couples together — some with their children, including babies.
- Change has helped FAPC be a relevant house of worship.
- Thanksgiving for recovering illness [Psalm 116, quoted above]
- comparisons to the blues (music),
- happy times to come out-of-time,
- the Cup of Salvation [Psalm 116:3]
- sleepy for the first time (bored?)
- Some people find peace at this church or any other church.
- offers done individually at the [Communion] table in front of the altar,
no plates (baskets) as passed around as usually done — something strange.
New Members Class (#1 part #1):
- God is the creator of earth.
- understanding of who Christ is
- more god than human
- more human than god
- coming of the Holy Spirit into the person becoming part of the person where it inhabits
- Holy Spirit
- symbolized as wind, fire and tongues
- Book of Order: rules of worship
- Book of Confessions: theological essays (declarations) about what is to be Christian in a given period of time
- Bible: written by inspiration, not taken literally, or the Word of God that the authors merely transcribed
- My feelings right now (11/09/2008 13:29)
- betrayal to my [maternal] grandmother
- afraid of being wrong and that the Catholic church is the only was/path to God
- looking around and analyzing people [in the room]
- Worshiping, praising God
- We are created out of love by God.
- We pray and give thanks.
- We should also help others showing God’s love — ministry, reaching out [servitude] and gratitude.
- Breath in. Breath out.
- in = intake of our faith, love of God
- out = return of the love of God [servitude]
- I make notes like a mad man!
- I took the new members class, but I decided not to become a member. I did become a member four months later.
- I no longer consider the Catholic church as “the only was/path to God” (as stated above).
- I just realized that NRSV is longer than KJV, which I usually quote.
- Tobit — 14 chapters
- Judith — 16 chapters
- Greek Esther — 10 chapters
- Wisdom — 19 chapters
- Sirach — 51 chapters
- Baruch — 5 chapters
- Letter of Jeremiah — 1 chapter
- Prayer of Azariah — 1 chapter
- Susanna — 1 chapter
- Bel and the Dragon — 1 chapter
- 1 Maccabees — 16 chapters
- 2 Maccabees — 15 chapters
- 1 Esdras — 9 chapters
- Prayer of Manasseh — 1 chapter
- Psalm 151 — an extra Psalm
- 3 Maccabees — 7 chapters
- 2 Esdras — 16 chapters
- 4 Maccabees — 18 chapters
- Now I’m curious about the book Bel and the Dragon. I never knew there was a dragon in the Bible aside from the monsters in the Book of Revelation.
“23 Now in that place there was a great dragon, which the Babylonians revered. 24 The king said to Daniel, ‘You cannot deny that this is a living god; so worship him.’ 25 Daniel said, ‘I worship the Lord my God, for he is the living God. 26 But give me permission, O king, and I will kill the dragon without sword or club.’ The king said, ‘I give you permission.’ 27 Then Daniel took pitch, fat, and hair, and boiled them together and made cakes, which he fed to the dragon. The dragon ate them, and burst open. Then Daniel said, ‘See what you have been worshiping!’ 28 When the Babylonians heard about it, they were very indignant and conspired against the king, saying, ‘The king has become a Jew; he has destroyed Bel, and killed the dragon, and slaughtered the priests.’ 29 Going to the king, they said, ‘Hand Daniel over to us, or else we will kill you and your household.’ 30 The king saw that they were pressing him hard, and under compulsion he handed Daniel over to them.” (Daniel Kills the Dragon, Bel and the Dragon 1:23-30 NRSV)
- Breath in and breath out.
Once again, breath in and breath out.
Twice again, breath in and breath out.
Thrice again, breath in and breath out.
Well you get the point.
Take in the love of God (faith) and return of the love of God (servitude).