Sunday series: 01/25/2009 (#19)
Where: Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church at 11:15am
Adult Education: The Gospel of Matthew
- represented by the Lion
- King of the Jews
- the messiah promised to the Jews
- to fulfill the prophesy
- In the cannon [it’s] first since the book covers the genealogy of Jesus — the covenant — not necessarily in chronology in which it was written, 80 AD (compared to Mark’s in 64 AD).
- Book more directed to a Jewish audience to indicate that Jesus is the messiah, conversion of the Jews (Israel).
- The substance of Jesus’ teachings.
- “Who do you say I am?”
- You are the son of the living God.”
- when mentioning “this rock” (Matthew 16:18)
- Catholics consider the rock being Peter (first pope),
- Protestants consider the rock being the confession of faith.
“26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. 27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, 28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. 29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. 30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. 32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: 33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth. 34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Cæsarea.” (Acts 8:26-40 KJV)
- I wrote no comments that day. This is the problem with my faith. It goes up (religious, happy, etc) and down (agnostic, skeptic, pagan, etc). It’s as bad of a roller-coaster as my manic depression.
- Maybe that day my body was at church, but my mind was millions of miles away — what a sham.