Sunday series: 12/05/2010 (#115A)
Where: Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church at 11am
“1 Give the king thy judgments, O God, and thy righteousness unto the king’s son. 2 He shall judge thy people with righteousness, and thy poor with judgment. 3 The mountains shall bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness. 4 He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor. 5 They shall fear thee as long as the sun and moon endure, throughout all generations. 6 He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth. 7 In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth.” (Psalm 72:1-7 KJV)
“1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: 2 And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord; 3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the Lord: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears: 4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked. 5 And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins. 6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. 7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. 8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice’ den. 9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea. 10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.” (Isaiah 11:1-10 KJV)
- Second Sunday in Advent
- Lighting of the Advent Candle — similar tradition as the lighting [of] the menorah
- Prayer For [My Second Son] [that I decided not to include here]
- Prayer for Guidance & Support for the king [Psalm 72:1-7]
- 700 BC [Isaiah 11:1-10]
- New leader not the messiah
- December — most stressful time of [the] year
- stomp — my father, etc; relationships, etc; that God can bring back to life.
- Give deliverance to the needy and crush the oppressor.
- Maybe he lives (may they fear you) while the sun endures and as long as the moon, through out all generations.
- Maybe be like rain that falls on the […] grass, like showers that water the earth.
- In his days may righteousness flourish and peace abound, until the moon is no more.
- Would the messiah incarnate disappoint us? We might not like the harmony that God will bring. We might have become cynical. [Regarding Sermon Just a Sprout]
- “Come and be fed by God.” [Regarding Sacrament of Holy Communion]
- I can’t keep my off [my second child’s] seizure. I’m scared indeed. Should I even be in church right now? I want him to [be] safe and healthy. Perhaps being healthy is too much of a dream. Hence I’d at least take his safety — not get hurt in the event of another seizure.
- Little did I know he’d have more seizures.