Where: Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church at 6:30pm
“1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. 2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him; 3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; 4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. 5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. 6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? 7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. 8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. 9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. 10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. 11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. 12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? 13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. 16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. 17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him. 33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you. 34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. 35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.“ (John 13:1-17, 13:31b-35 KJV)
- Maundy Thursday
- “We do not love you fully
or love one another as you command” [underlined from Prayer of Confession]
- Jesus washes the feet of the disciples — to lead by example [John 13:1-17]
- New commandment — to love one another [John 13:31b-35]
- to receive = to follow = to serve [regarding Sermon Jesus the Foot Washer]
- recognizing one’s need before attending other’s needs [regarding Sermon Jesus the Foot Washer]
- how strange it feels to be given communion by name
- Order of the Tenebrae [The Service of Shadows]
- singing response [baritone]
- snuffing the candle
- lights dimming
- [Scripture] readers return to pews as new reader approaches the pulpit
- The Strepitus — the tearing of the veil in the temple
- 6:30 to 8:00pm
- I’ve gone to the same church for a little past four years.
- The pastors, some ushers and some staff know me by name.
- Most likely they don’t know anything else about me, except for one pastor who’s helped me get therapy.