Sunday series: 07/24/2011 (#147)
Where: Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church at 10am
“31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: 32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof. 33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. 45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: 46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it. 47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind: 48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away. 49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, 50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. 51 Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord. 52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.“ (Matthew 13:31-33; 44-52 KJV)
- Kingdom of Heaven
- like the seeds of mustard,
- like leaven in bread,
- like a treasure hidden in the field,
- like a merchant looking for pearls,
- like a net that catches all types of fish,
- like the tree where all birds (different birds) find shelter and food.
- Jesus — the main ingredient of life; the tree of life
- “one body of Christ, the Church” & “‘Come, Lord Jesus’ Amen.” [underlined, regarding the Affirmation of Faith, A Brief Statement of Faith, PC(USA)]
- I might have taken too many notes that day.